- Just like llamas, alpacas can get cross, too. And when they do, they spit –up to ten feet!
- There are two breeds of alpaca – the huacaya and the suri. Suris have long, wavy hair, and huacayas are fluffier.
- Alpacas eat grass by cutting it at the top with their teeth, instead of pulling the root out of the ground. Which makes them excellent lawnmowers!
- Alpacas have a whopping 11-month pregnancy, and when they have their cria (babies), they usually do it in the morning.
- Alpacas can live to around 20 years old.
- Alpacas communicate with their tails as well as through sound – which includes humming, clucking, screeching and screaming, snorting and grumbling.
Check out our blog and follow us on social media for more alpaca facts!